jana gouchev, esq.
Jana Gouchev is the Managing Attorney of Gouchev Law. Her practice focuses on Commercial Contracts, Technology and Internet Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Law, and Intellectual Property.
Jana works with business owners and executives around the world, from emerging companies to Fortune 500s. Her clients rely on her as a top negotiator for structuring successful transactions. Whether it’s counseling on the constantly evolving field of technology law and cybersecurity, closing a successful business purchase, negotiating a master service agreement, executing an investment capital financing, or building and protecting a robust trademark and patent portfolio.
Jana is consistently featured in publications such as U.S. News and World Report – Best Lawyers®, Bloomberg, Forbes, Inc., Modern Counsel, and Profile Magazine, among others. She was named one of the Top 3 Business Lawyers in New York in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021. She is deeply passionate about working with visionaries who are leaders in their field.
• Corporate Law
• Complex Commercial Contract Negotiation
• Intellectual Property
• Technology and Internet Law
• Mergers & Acquisitions
• Investment Capital and Venture Capitalist Representation
• Operating Agreements and Corporate Shareholder Documents
• Master Services Agreements and SaaS Agreements
• Partner Disputes, Buyouts, and Shareholder Freeze-Outs
• Joint Ventures
• NDAs, Non-compete and Non-solicitation Agreements
• Software and IP Licensing
Rather than recommend time-consuming and costly steps, clients work with Jana because she’s a straight shooter that gets the deal done.
Technology Law and Intellectual Property
Technology and IP Transactions most often go hand in hand, which is why Jana’s depth of experience in both areas makes her a key asset for clients.
Her intellectual property practice includes all aspects of a deal. Whether it’s US or international trademark registrations, prosecution, licensing, brand collaborations, joint ventures, IP purchases, and sales, or strategy on patents and monetizing a company’s growing IP portfolio.
Publications and Accolades
- Interviewed in Forbes Magazine to discuss the Kardashian’s 716 Trademark Empire. Kardashian Clan’s 716 Trademarks: How Kim, Kanye, Kylie, And Kendall Protect Their Brands (July 2019)
- Interviewed in Bloomberg Law on the 18-year-old trademark battle faced by AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company on infringement and abandonment. Trademark Loss for 161-Year-Old Insurer Shows Risk of Rebranding (January 2020)
- US News and World Report® Best Lawyer 2020
- Voted Top 3 Lawyers in New York City in 2020
- Featured in Modern Counsel Magazine
- Feature in Profile Magazine
- Interviewed in Law Practice Today by the American Bar Association Journal, How Law Firms Are Responding to the Coronavirus Epidemic
- Business Insider How Freelancers can Ensure They’re Paid Fairly and on Time in a Crisis, according to Seasoned Professionals and Legal Experts
Emerging Markets & Global Reach
Jana structures cross-border transactions, particularly in China, Korea, Japan, the UK, LatAm and Europe. Whether a client is seeking to establish or expand their practice or marketing presence in a foreign jurisdiction, acquire an existing foreign operation or enter into a joint venture with a local partner, Jana has the experience to lead the transaction from start to finish.
Background & Education
Jana received her J.D. from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, in New York City. She is admitted to the Bar in New York. She was formerly at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, The United Nations, and MTV. Prior to that she worked at The New York Times as an editorial manager.