jana gouchev, esq.
Jana Gouchev is the Managing Attorney of Gouchev Law. Her practice focuses on Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Law, Intellectual Property, and Technology Law.
Jana works with business owners and executives around the world, from emerging companies to Fortune 500s. Her clients rely on her as a top negotiator for structuring successful transactions, whether it’s a business merger or acquisition, joint venture, or investment capital financing, or her staunch defense of trademarks and patents.
Named as one of the Top 3 Business Lawyers in New York in 2019 and 2020, and a top lawyer in U.S. News & World Report, Jana is deeply passionate about working with visionaries who are leaders in their field.
Janas clients come from a wide variety of industries, with a focus on consulting firms in the fields of technology and media, consumer products, as well as hospitality and celebrity-led fashion brands. Her main areas of practice are intellectual property, corporate and contract law, mergers & acquisitions, general corporate law, partnerships, trademarks and patents.
Jana has been consistently recognized by ranking as a top lawyer in publications such as U.S. News and World Report – Best Lawyers®, and quoted in Bloomberg Law, Forbes,, Inc., Modern Counsel and Profile Magazine, among others. Gouchev has also served as a panelist at events attended by business leaders from multiple industries.
• Mergers and acquisitions
• Corporate transactions
• Trademark and patent registration
• Intellectual property
• Asset purchases
• Operating Agreements and Corporate Shareholder Documents
• Master Services Agreements and SaaS Agreements
• Client Service Agreements
• Partner Disputes and Buyouts
• Joint ventures
• NDAs, Non-compete and non-solicitation agreements
• Complex Contract negotiation
• Commercial leases
• Licensing deals
Rather than recommend time-consuming and costly steps, clients work with Jana because she’s a straight shooter who tells you what you need, and gets it done.
Gouchev’s intellectual property practice includes all aspects of trademark searching and clearance, as well as the prosecution of trademark applications through registration. She protects both traditional and non-traditional marks and advises on foreign trademark matters, including cross-border opposition and cancellation proceedings.
Publications and Accolades
- Interviewed in Forbes Magazine to discuss the Kardashian’s 716 Trademark Empire. Kardashian Clan’s 716 Trademarks: How Kim, Kanye, Kylie, And Kendall Protect Their Brands (July 2019)
- Quoted in Bloomberg Law on the 18-year-old trademark battle faced by AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company on infringement and abandonment. Trademark Loss for 161-Year-Old Insurer Shows Risk of Rebranding (January 2020)
- US News and World Report® Best Lawyer 2020
- Voted Top 3 Lawyers in New York City in 2020 by ThreeBestRated.com
- Featured in Modern Counsel Magazine (2019)
- Feature in Profile Magazine (2020)
- Interviewed in Law Practice Today, American Bar Associate Journal, How Law Firms Are Responding to the Coronavirus Epidemic (March 2020)
Jana works with companies on a global level, from emerging companies in New York City, to foreign companies opening or expanding their operations in the U.S., with a particular focus in the China, the UK , and India.
Background & Education
Gouchev received her J.D. from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, in New York City. She is admitted to the Bar in New York. She was formerly at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, The United Nations, and MTV, and prior to that she worked at The New York Times as an editorial manager.
five fun facts
In the press
Your Empire, We Protect It
If you wanted to deal with legal headaches, you would have gone to law school. Good news: we did. You go ahead and do your thing. We’ll handle the law.
FREE STRATEGY SESSION